The transfer poker between BVB and FC Koln has been ongoing for weeks. Dortmund has failed with several offers, the Rhinelanders are reportedly demanding a transfer fee of 50 million euros. In addition, there are possible bonus clauses and a resale participation.

What's next?

The 66-year-old Pierre Littbarski expects a challenging season for FC Koln if shooting star Said El Mala leaves the club. „Without El Mala, it will certainly be – based on what I've seen so far – no sweet deal for FC Koln in the second year“, said the 1990 World Cup winner in his Suzuki-produced podcast „Littis Einwurf“.

Why is this important for FC Koln?

The current situation must be „terrible“ for trainer René Wagner. „You have to have a backup in your head all the time, that's all very difficult.“

What comes next?

El Mala had only extended his contract until June 30, 2030, without an exit clause, in July 2025. From a personal perspective, Littbarski, who played 504 games for Köln and shot the FC to the DFB-Pokal win in 1983, could understand a possible transfer of El Mala. „They would shoot me in Cologne if I said now that he should go to Dortmund“, said the 66-year-old, but he is also a realist: „Of course, it would be his next step for him.“

Current form: 0W-0D-4L (LLLL, last four games)

In the 2025/26 season, El Mala helped the promoted Köln to secure their place in the Bundesliga. In his first season in the Bundesliga, the 19-year-old scored 13 goals and provided five assists. He narrowly missed the jump into the German World Cup squad. Currently, Sebastian Sebulonsen is injured and cannot play for FC Koln. Last result: Bayern München 5-1 1. FC Köln (2026-05-16).